Curriculum • Professional Learning • Community
The IM Certified® Experience
Integrating curriculum, professional learning and community
Illustrative Mathematics is a nonprofit organization founded on the belief that all students are capable of learning grade-level mathematics. Our innovative problem-based K–12 curriculum is designed to energize math classrooms and equip students with critical skills, understandings, and practices that can benefit them for a lifetime. The IM Certified® Experience leads students to this enduring math proficiency by giving educators exclusive access to engaging content, comprehensive professional learning, and an inclusive community of scholars working together to build a world where all learners know, use, and enjoy mathematics.
Help students become lifelong math learners. Preview IM K–12 Math.
Already using IM, but want to learn more?
The IM Certified Difference
- Driven by student thinking: Students are empowered to use their thinking to lead the mathematical discourse, and teachers facilitate their learning rather than providing direct instruction.
- Problem-based with real-world connections: Students discover, understand, and internalize key math concepts and apply their learning to various real-world problems and scenarios, simultaneously building procedural fluency and conceptual understanding.
- Diverse representations: With images and scenarios that reflect a diverse society, students can see themselves and their experiences represented in the problems they’re solving, creating more meaningful connections with new concepts.
- Grounded in best practices for effective mathematics education: IM’s rigorous, standards-aligned K-12 curricula are expert-authored and rooted in well-respected pedagogy and methodology, meeting all expectations for focus, coherence, rigor, mathematical practices, and usability, according to EdReports.
- Full-service experience: Professional learning led by IM Certified® facilitators and an active online community give educators the support needed at every level to create effective classrooms and ensure all students are given equity and access to grade-level mathematics.
All Green on All EdReports Gateways
My students’ mathematical thinking blows my mind! Each and every student in my classroom can explain their answer. Their strategies look different because they all approach and solve problems in different ways, but they can use words, diagrams, and equations to explain their answer.
Tabitha E. Grade 3 Teacher, MO
The curriculum facilitates productive struggle for our learners, and teachers have been excited to shift their instruction from being the ‘sage on the stage’ to the ‘guide on the side.’
Corrine Williams, secondary math specialist, Evergreen Public Schools, WA
IM 9–12 Math has spurred a rapid shift in how I go about teaching and learning mathematics. Furthermore, my students have developed a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts through making meaning of their conversations with each other and myself about the topic at hand.
Joseph Dziuba, math teacher, New Brunswick Public Schools, NJ
We consider a facilitator’s ‘IM Certified™’ stamp shorthand for quality and expertise, both in mathematics and in delivering the very best professional learning experiences to teachers and coaches.
Katie Martin, lead secondary math teacher, New Hanover County Schools, NC